Saturday, August 05, 2006

What Passes For Entertainment

Following on from my meanderings about humour, I found myself pondering the definition of "Entertainment" tonight.

What stimulated this was that I ended up watching "World Poker Tour" after the footy the other night, and the remote was too far away for me to be bothered getting up to change the channel. It was, after all, just background noise.

Now I barely know the rules, and while I can frit away an hour or two at the blackjack table, poker's always seemed a silly game to me.

I will admit, though, WPT was actually gripping entertainment, and I have no idea why.

2 comments:

caw said...

Ooo! Can the camera see their hands before they play their cards??

If not, then mystery must account for it being gripping...wondering who has what. What's coming next?

If it does show their cards before they play their hands, then maybe the grippingness comes from waiting for someone to have a massive tantrum and spray their drinks all over the next punter, before king hitting them and pissing off with all their chips??

Chester The Bear said...

ya ya
we know what cards they have.
i think it's the commentary... these guys call it like it's a prize fight or a football game.