Saturday, September 30, 2006

Caution?

I bought a new mop the other day. You know the type... one of those squeegee mop things that isn't really a mop, but more a sponge on the end of a stick. It's got one of those handles you push down on to fold the sponge in half to squeeze the water out.

It has a curious warning on the handle, in big red letters...

CAUTION
Wet mop before
wringing out

Um? Ok.
So WHY would someone want to wring out a DRY mop?
Come to think of it, is it actually possible to wring out something that isn't wet?
There are lots of useful CAUTION notes on products these days, like the one on the iron I bought last week that says "Caution. Do not use in bath." I can see that some lame idiot might try bathing and ironing at the same time, and that the company has to protect itself (though it's debatable whether in doing so, they're protecting or harming the future of the gene pool).
I can understand why a bottle of Children's Cough Medicine would contain a warning that says "Caution, do not drive or operate heavy machinery while on this medication." Those sand pits can be a pretty dangerous place if people aren't in proper control of their Tonka Trucks.
I can even understand why a packet of cigarettes has the warning "Caution. Smoking May Be Hazardous To Your Health". There must be at least one person in the western world who isn't aware of the danger, and it's very important that we make sure he knows as soon as possible.
But "Caution. Wet mop before wringing out"? What's going to happen if I don't? Is this a warning that some harm might come to me? How? Will the sponge explode? Will it release some toxic spores? What should I be watching out for? Should I be wearning protective clothing when using the mop? Should I make sure I never use the mop alone? I'm sorry. I just don't understand.

2 comments:

Identity Crisis said...

http://www.extremeironing.com/
You might be interested in the above link. There are some lovely photos of ironing in and around water...bogs.. for example.

Chester The Bear said...

I do so love Extreme Ironing. It's a sport I'd seriously consider except that I developed a severe allergy to sport (playing, not watching) when I was in high school.

Perhaps Fox Sports or ESPN ought to consider organising the WEIT (World Extreme Ironing Tour). I'd watch.