Thursday, January 03, 2008

Dashboard Jesus

For reasons I might explain some other time, I've been spending a little time on eBay this week, which is where I found "Dashboard Jesus", or, more correctly, "Jesus Dashboard car monitor bobble wobble head ornament".

The seller's copy sums it up...

As featured in that Womans magazine which then sold it out
He is back is a Vengeance
The sign of cool
Dashboard Jesus

Let’s hear it for the holly spirit
Feel the power
The holly helper to take you through traffic jams and anywhere the windy road of life takes you.
Enlightenment on a spring
Take on all other spring loaded deities including Elvis, The Dali Lama, Buddha and Surfer bob
No one dances better than Jesus himself


"Holly Spirit". I knew Christmas had something to do with Jesus.
See it for yourself here.

By the way, incase you're thinking "wow, does this bear know how to waste time", apart from you being right, I was actually searching for this...
... which isn't on eBay here yet.

What is it? It's a "head mounted display", or HMD, and until now the resolution on these things has been really crappy. This new model is, however, a full 800 x 600 high resolution monitor that you wear on your head. It's like sitting in front of a 2000 cm screen, floating about 3m in front of your eyes. Watch TV. Work a giant spreadsheet. Edit graphics. Woo!

I don't really WANT these. I NEED these, and if you give me long enough, I'm sure I can come up with a great reason why.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowie zowie - would you get motion sickness wearing one of those things?

I wore a VR helmet once and fought pixellated warriors with a ray gun in a make believe war in the name of research - and I nearly threw up - but this thingie looks much more reliable than a VR unit.

The dashboard Jesus is genius isn't it? On the dash of our convertible, I've written "Trumania" in the dust, with a picture of an alien in a helmet with antennae - just like in the Truman Show movie.

I must have been a weird kid.

e said...

CAW - you still are a weird kid. That's why I adore you.

Chester: why do you need a reason to need the goggles?

Anonymous said...

LOL Ms e! thank you from the bottom of my hearty heart for aforementioned adoration! the feeling is mutual, your blog makes me laugh, esp the snot entry. OMG. lol.
now, chester - if you worked in an office with Others, I could see you walking into the office in the morning, wearing the helmet, just casually saying "good morning" to everyone. that would be hilarious.
altho - you wouldn't want to do that in a bank. they might shoot you. they might think you are a robber or someone bad, like a motorcyclist. (do they still have signs for moto-people asking for helmets to be removed?)

gothcat said...

Im impressed that Elvis has made it to the rank of deity!
Congrads post humously.

e said...

And you know, I kinda want a dashboard Jesus...

Mostly Jessica said...

Sony made one a few years ago called Glastron. I found it at a Video store in Sitka,Alaska. It was only the size of a pair of Oakleys. It was only about $500.

Mostly Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.