Thursday, June 21, 2007

Beached

Any of my readers who live here in Oz will know that Sydney and surrounds have been pounded by some pretty foul weather over the last couple of weeks.

Early on in the storm, a 76,000 tonne, 225m long (738ft) bulk coal carrier at anchor off the port of Newcastle (about a hundred nautical miles north of Sydney) ended up on Nobby's Beach, right near the mouth of the port.

Here are a few pics taken from the deck of the ship as the storm worsened... and I think they might explain how she ended up where she is.

You're on a very big ship. How bad can it get?


Ok. So there's waves. Big deal. This ship can handle a little water splashing over the deck.


Hmmm... ok... more than a little water. Are you sure those hatches are closed?


Shiiiite. You know when green sea (I know, it's blue... it's called "green sea") is breaking over the deck of a ship this size, you're in trouble.

6 comments:

e said...

Holy crap!

I bet when they got beached they were all, oh thank goodness!

Ms Brown Mouse said...

You see, this is why I decline all rides on boats. Shhiiiitte indeed.

Anonymous said...

HOLY SMOKE BATMAN. that sure is some bad sea. mein gott.

where you get the pixies from??

B. said...

Yeeks, this is why I'm afraid of the sea.

Identity Crisis said...

Tie me kangaroo down sport!

Chester The Bear said...

Oh look! Spam on my website, and not the canned meat variety either.

Thank you Ramesh Sharma, you dumb f*#k.

Oh... Sorry... For my other readers, the owner of that website he's linked to is some ass named Ramesh Sharma, of 5 East Patel, Nagar, New Delhi, 110064, India.

And his phone number is 9891413322.

If you like, you can email him directly at webmaster@widgetmate.com, thanking him for his germane advice. I know I will.