Thursday, May 01, 2008

Changes Afoot

I know I've been slack lately, not just in updating my own blog, but also in visiting blogger friends. You already know what sort of month I had in April, but this trend's been apparent for a lot longer than a month so I'm not sure the dramas of the last 30 days are the real reason. Instead, I'd rather admit that I've been distracted in ways only someone with ADD will understand.


And besides, I've written just about all I can about bloody global warming and it's probably getting boring. I mean, how often will my readers be bothered with my sanctimonious tirades.

Therefore, I'm making changes. Chester's going to share his pontifications a little less often. Exactly why I'm cutting back brings me to the focus of my ADD. I know. That's an oxymoron. Focus and ADD can't go together... except that, bizarrely, they somehow do.

You see, I've decided to write a book. A novel.

There's been an idea running around in my head for years. I even wrote a chapter a very long time ago, but that draft is sitting deep in landfill somewhere making a very nice home for worms. Over the last few months, the idea's been bubbling back to the surface, distracting me from just about everything.

So the other change is that, I'm going to share the process with you in a new blog... Chester Writes A Book. Don't worry. I'm not going to spoil the plot, or reveal any part of the story. All I'll tell you is that it's actually two books, the first set in World War II, and the second more or less now. It's nothing high brow or noble. Rather, it's a rollicking adventure story unlikely to win any literary awards, but if I'm any good, it will be a page turner. Either that, or it will be what most who set out to write a great novel end up producing... which is a badly written, rambling and predictable story full of cliches, bad grammar and awful prose. Time will tell.

Whether the new blog's interesting enough to read, only you can decide. That's not the point. What I need is a way to focus, and setting down progress in a blog will both organise my thoughts and motivate me to get the book written.

Which isn't to say this blog's dead. Far from it. I'll still update, but posts will perhaps come a little less often while I focus my limited creativity on something more useful.

I invite you to join me on my new journey.

6 comments:

Urban Koda said...

Sounds like a fun ride! I'll definitely be following it.

Matsby said...

Good luck. I will follow it too.

e said...

Writing a book with paws and no opposable thumbs. How could we miss it?

Anonymous said...

ooh, most excellently excellent.

gothcat said...

I will definitely follow on too.This is exciting,good idea.

Identity Crisis said...

Carry on, then.