Friday, June 20, 2008

Are We Going Mad?

"Young people today have no respect!"

I used to hear my father say it, and his father before him. My great grandfather probably said it in some foreign Eastern European language, and I suspect there's probably a well worn Latin or Ancient Greek version.

It seems each successive generation looks at those who come after with disbelief, fearful for the future of society and the world. Despite those fears, each successive generation seems to muddle through, and the world our forefathers have built is a pretty good one.

That's changing because I believe that world is about to come crashing down.

Young people today really do have no respect. They don't respect the law. They don't respect those around them. They don't respect standards of common decency.

Why? Because our generation of stupid bleeding hearts has removed punishment as a sanction. If you're under 16 these days, you can do pretty much anything you like knowing that the worst that's likely to happen is you'll get a session of "counselling" during which some limp do-gooder will tell you in their softest, most unthreatening voice, that what you might have done may not have been appropriate.

No criminal conviction is recorded. You're not sent away to some child correctional facility, and no-one is allowed to give you a swift kick in the backside (literally, not metaphorically).

So that there's no mistaking the point I'm trying to make, let me state it clearly. I believe the success of Western Civilisation has been built on mutual respect and a sense of community. At every level of society, our forefathers acted (mostly) for the common good. Yes, they had a degree of individual freedom, and yes, that freedom allowed them to do much as they pleased, but there was an understanding that expression of that freedom came with a responsibility to use it to preserve common values and build a better future.

Today, young people are raised to believe it's everyone for themselves. We pander to the excesses of youth with plattitudes... "oh... they just need better guidance", or "they're just expressing their individuality".

We don't even draw proper boundaries. Last week, the government here in New South Wales was forced by public outcry to withdraw a brochure advising teenagers of how they should experiment with drugs "responsibly". They called it "harm minimisation", and all the bleeding hearts were shouting "but kids will take drugs, so we have to give them the right information".

Crap. It's the wrong signal. It says "look... we know these drugs are illegal, but we also know you're going to take them and that's ok." No. It's NOT ok, and to say it sends very mixed signals indeed.

Take the case yesterday in Canada, where the Quebec Superior Court overturned a father's decision to ground his 12 year old daughter as punishment for disobeying his direction not to visit websites he deemed "innapropriate". (She had disobeyed him by going to a friends house to post improper photographs of herself on some "social networking" site.)

Are they serious? First, what is a 12 year old girl doing taking her parents to court so she's not grounded. Second, why is the state funding this stupidity, and third, what was the judge thinking?

I don't know what it's like in Canada, the UK, the USA, or any of the other places my readers live. I just know what it's like here in Australia. Children are an undisciplined rabble, subject to minimal parental cotrol, prone to binge drinking, antisocial behaviour and an utter disregard for theose around them. They seem born to accept that the world owes them, and that there are no sanctions for ill manners, or even criminal activity. They get into their 20s unemployable, with a sense of entitlement that they have not yet earned.

Enough is enough. It's time we wrested control back from the social engineers and began applying and enforcing standards of decency and behaviour. If we don't, Western Civilisation will continue to teeter towards the edge of a precipice.

5 comments:

Identity Crisis said...

Amen.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I agree with you (mostly) and see the repercussions in the workplace daily. Young(ish) folk who feel entitled to instant promotion to the interesting, better paying jobs, and actually dummy spit when they don’t get them. Actual real-life tantrums in the workplace. Folk who refuse to do some of the tasks their jobs involve because those tasks are “boring”. Lunchroom discussions about how best to fiddle the system, cheat timesheets, avoid work. It fair boggles this (albeit middle-aged) mouse’s mind. I swear if I could get away with it, some well aimed smacks to the side of the head would be swiftly administered. Grump.

gothcat said...

I totally [almost]agree,with one exception,Im not sure how regional it is,but clumping handfuls of the above mentioned youth are sent to juvenile detention centres from the blue mountains daily.
Unfortunately they often return worse as if the place itself is some kind of education to the contrary of the magistrates intent.
they learn better tricks there.
bad school.

Anonymous said...

Yup. I agree. I've watched young employees with big titles walk all over the employers, not turn up to work, not phone in to say they're not coming in, start late, bitch about other staff, leave early and be obnoxious to everyone around them and I think to myself "Wow. Am I missing something? I never went to Charm School for Backstabbers - am I too late to enrol?"
But yes. I am too late to enrol. And frankly, I don't want to be like them. I like my work ethic the way it is and it would suck to be so young and so uptight about so many things ... such as figuring out ways of rorting the system, paying out on fellow workers, taking advantage of others and etc. I don't have the brain space or the energy to get around thinking like that and I'm glad of it.
I think it's an age thing.

Urban Koda said...

I'm not sure if it's an age thing - having recently left employment where a 40+ year old man repeatedly threw those same tantrums and had absolutely no respect for anyone else.

I think what had happened is that we have mistaken the idea that we should punish our kids, with the idea that they need no guidance either.

Rather than direct kids, teach them about personal responsibility and respect, we let them figure it out on the own, and instill in them the idea that they deserve to have life handed to them. Freedom is good, but without direction it can be pretty dangerous.

I have a terrific job. I worked my butt off to get here, and I work my butt off to keep it, that said however, if one more person tells me I deserve it, I think I might go postal. Deserve seems to indicate that somehow life owes me - WHAT?!?