Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Delicate Sound Of Thunder

We're in the middle of the most amazing thunderstorm right now. I've been standing on my balcony watching for about the last 30 minutes, but decided to come in when a bolt of lightning flashed horizontally across the sky right overhead, acompanied by the biggest, loudest mother of all bangs I've ever heard.

The sky above me is lighting up like a flourescent tube, so bright it's turning midnight into daylight. And the flashes are coming every few seconds.

This is absolutely spectacular! Someone up there is very very pissed off.

5 comments:

Identity Crisis said...

I love the smell of thunderstorms. Perhaps that is what our atmosphere used to be like way back in the beginning. What it should be like for optimal life sustaining power.

I encountered a 360 degree lightening show while driving through northern California a few years ago. It was mother nature at her best - worthy of pulling over, sucking in the negative ions and dancing in the rain. Lucky you. We are still knee deep in snow.

gothcat said...

We had that storm too but a bit earlier on,being in the ol' hills of blue.My house was shaking and every appliance worth its note unplugged.There been a storm every night for about two weeks now...somethings going on

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Wasn't it wonderful, I love a really good thunder storm (when I'm inside, outside's another matter). The smell, the light show and the amazing noise that makes you jump right out of your skin. All very primal I'm sure.

pitfinder said...

I like the sound of thunder storms, but I could do without the lightning. When I was a kid, I was a little too close the a tree that was struck, an interesting experience but not one I'm eager to repeat. Since then, lightning has cost me three phones, two modems, a thermometer, and a TV set. It's like some women, pretty to look at, but expensive and even a little painful.

:-)

Anonymous said...

dinnit make your computer blow up?