Saturday, March 17, 2007

Doctors Prefer Camel

Dr J sent me this earlier in the week.

You have to admire the Tobacco Industry. It's a real ad from the 1940s, and the copy writing is brilliant. Every doctor in private practice was asked "What cigarette do you smoke?".
"Not a guess, not just a trend, but an actual fact based on statements of the doctors themselves to 3 nationally known independent research organisations.
"Yes, your doctors was asked, along with thousands and thousands of other doctors from Maine to California.
"And they've named their choice--the brand that more doctors named as their smoke is Camel!"
Not one research organisation, but 3, and not just any old research organisations, but "nationally known" research organisations! Brilliant! But there's more... not just any old doctors either, but your YOUR doctor! I love it! If these guys were around today, they'd be writing infomercials, or speeches for presidential aspirants.
Apparently, the proof is all in the "T Zone" (bottom left)...
"The 'T Zone' Test Will Tell You"
"The 'T Zone'--T for taste and T for throat--is your own laboratory, your proving ground for any cigarette. For only your taste and your throat can decide which cigarette tastes best to you... and how it effects your throat. On the basis of experience of many many millions of smokers, we believe Camels will suit your 'T-Zone' to a T."
Fabulous! "...proving ground". So bloody anachronistic. And to think... this was created in the days when advertising and marketing were more dark arts, and less the evil sciences they are today.

6 comments:

caw said...

FANTASTIC! lol. it reminds me of one of my favourite t-shirts. it says "drink apple juice. OJ will kill you."

heehee ...

ps: then he'd write a book about how he didn't do it, but if he had done it, this is how he would've done it ... if you get my drift ...

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Aren't Camels the ones without filters? My ma smoked just one ciggie in her life, a Camel, and in doing so determined that smoking was not for her.

Matsby said...

I had the same experience as dancingmorgan's ma. One puff was all it took for me to never try it again.

But if I was going to start smoking, I would certainly ask my doctor which brand passed the G Spot ... I mean the T Zone test.

Anonymous said...

I've often considered taking up smoking, just so I could give it up and save all that money - each time I've tried, however, my lungs have refused to cooperate!

Chester The Bear said...

My dad smoked those Camels without filters for 20 or 30 years, until he woke up one morning, threw the carton he'd just bought in the bin, and just stopped.

And I do remember reading something once about smoke... and how it's not so much the tar that kills you as it is the chemicals released from the filter.

Me? I've always like fresh air too much.

gothcat said...

I gave up one day like that.just like that.And I got cable installed with the money I was spending a month.