Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ten More Sleeps


I feel like a 9 year old just a few days out from my first trip to Disneyland. That's a strange feeling for this Bear, who, for about ten years, lived one of those crazy unsustainable corporate high flyer lives with an almost unlimited travel budget, and who's record was 13 trips around the world in 12 months. Actually, I distinctly remember saying, when I walked away from that stupid life 6 years ago, that if I never set foot on another aeroplane, it would be too soon.
That hasn't dampened the excitement. Ten more sleeps, and Dr J and I are off to a conference in Las Vegas.
It's been 3 years since I was last in the Excited States, and there are some really dumb things I miss... like Taco Bell (which the ex, aka The Evil One, once described as "slop"), or the french fries at In'n'Out Burger, fresh cut from real spuds and tasing suspiciously like potato... or the LA Freeway System, which, when it's not in gridlock, is about as much fun as one can have behind the wheel of a regular car.
I miss the energy and creativity in America... qualities that are often treated with jealous disdain here in Oz... and I miss the stupidity of the place... like the disclaimer on the bottom of the hotel room service menu that basically says eating any of the food this hotel serves may be injurious to your health.
I can't wait.
First, two days in Long Beach, which is one of my favourite parts of LA. Next, a drive to Vegas via "The Big Thermometer", which must be nearly as lame as "The Big Banana", "The Big Marino" and "The Big Prawn" here in Oz. We'll also be stopping at every outlet mall we can find, just because we can, and then it's 6 nights in a hotel that's supposed to be what Americans think some other part of the world looks like.
I'm getting excityed just writing about it. And we get to catch up with CAW, which is probably the most fun bit.
Post conference, it's back in car, drive down to Newport Beach for a night with old friends, then back on the 'plane for home.
Except that when one has travelled as much as this Bear, one learns how to work the airline system... so we're flying Air Tahiti Nui across the Pacific, which is less than half the price of the Sydney LA direct flight with either Qantas or United. Go figure. The downside is that we have to have a "compulsory stopover" on the way home. For 5 nights. In Tahiti . (Yay. I finally get to spend those bloody Pacific Francs I've been carrying around for the last 6 years.)
Yes. It's a sacrifice, but we'll cope.
Ten more sleeps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh how exciting indeed. A little bit green over here.

e said...

Yes! That's it, it's the creativity and the energy. You're right. I myself am from Italy, and I've lived all over the world, and here is where I've settled. The stupidity too, is awesome. I often photograph it.

Mostly Jessica said...

You had to mention In N Out Burger didn't you. Now I'm jealous. They won't build one in Utah because all of their supplies come from California and by the time they get to utah they wouldn't be fresh enough.

Anonymous said...

s'only 3 more sleeps now!!!! whoot!