Friday, April 27, 2007

No Limits To Stupidity

Do these look the same to you? I hope not. The one on the left is a sheep, yes? And the one on the right? Come on, you know this... that's right, it's a poodle.

Not, apparently, in Japan, where an enterprising company called Pets as Poodles has been selling the left hand side animals, passing them off as the animals on the right hand side... at $1,600 each!

They were caught out when one of the buyers, Japanese film star Maiko Kawamaki took her new poodle on a TV talk-show and wondered why the animal didn't bark or eat dog food.

She was shattered when she was told it wasn't actually a poodle, that it was, in fact, a sheep. Not embarrassed, or ashamed... but very upset.

Once the dog was off the leash, more women began calling police complaining that they, too, had been delivered the ovine substitute. According to the story, in News Ltd's on line site today, one couple was distraught when they took their "poodle" to the vet to have its claws clipped and were told they weren't claws, they were hooves. "Distraught". Really?

10 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I loved this story, made me larf and larf and larf in the work environment. Perhaps this is a symptom of people being too urban, not learning about farms and animals and such like. Thinking milk comes from cartons instead of cows. Or perhaps those women were just really really stupid.

Chester The Bear said...

I favour the latter.

pitfinder said...

When I was a kid, we used to try to convince city kids that brown cows gave chocolate milk, with varying degrees of success.

But sheep = poodle? $1600?

Speechless.

:-0

e said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! Oh my gosh, that is funny and completely bewildering. What?? How can ANYONE not know the diff between a sheep and a poodle? I'm a city slicker, but at the very least I know that the animal on the left is no poodle! I also happen to know it's a sheep, but whatevs!

Two thoughts: a fool and her money...

and

Only the stupid people are breeding. Though these folks might actually be too stupid even for that. That would be a relief.

B. said...

After reading this I did some investigation of my own and it turns out that my pet gerbil is actually a Bull Moose! What an embarrassment!

caw said...

does this mean that the man who mistook his wife for a hat was actually right?

Chester The Bear said...

Pit, do you mean milk comes from cows? Really?

e. Bloody breeders. I think you should have to pass an exam first.

b. Moose. Gerbil. Yes, I can easily see how you'd get those two confused.

and caw, it depends if he's Japanese.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

CAW, I've read the book, but I'm afraid I have to report he was wrong about his wife, she wasn't a hat after all.
This whole milk theme has me remembering the 'rats milk' scam on the Simpsons. Milking all the tiny wee rats - tee hee.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

bummer, probably a hoax http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/poodlesheep.asp.

Chester The Bear said...

Hey Mouse...
Rule #1 in journalism... "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!"