Sunday, April 22, 2007

Stunning

With a tear in my eye, I've just watched the last of the stunning ten part mini series, Band Of Brothers.

For those who haven't seen it, it's a dramatisation of the true story of Easy Company, a unit of the 101st Airborne in WWII, from their training camp in England, through the Normandie landings, Operation Market Garden and the Siege of Bastonge, and then all the way to the end of the war.

This film is a moving tribute to a small group of men... men without whom our world would have been a very different place... so much so that at the end, I found myself spontaneously standing in ovation, as much for the 'real' men of Easy Company, who are interviewed at the beginning and end of each episode, as for the brilliance of Speilberg and Hanks who co-produced the series.

It's not so much a war story as it is the story of extraordinary cammeraderie and bravery, of human tragedy, survival and the senselessness of war. It conveys an unpaletable truth, that sometimes war is an horrific, necessary evil.

If you haven't seen Band of Brothers, put it on your 'must see' list.

6 comments:

e said...

Ok, I'll put it on my Netflix list.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I watched it on the box, last year I think. I agree, twas a most impressive series. The best bits were indeed when they spoke to the real men the characters were based on, got me a bit weepy from time to time.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, thanx for the recco CTB. Have you seen The Pianist?

Anonymous said...

Dear Chester, I'm way off track here but under your "My Company" link for the Re-jeuvie Plus homepage, there is a pic of a little amminal. And it is mighty cute. And I need to know (a) what it is and (b) where I can get one from. It is simply darling and I need one!

pitfinder said...

"Looks like you'll be surrounded, Sir."

"We're paratroopers, we're *supposed* to be surrounded."


Excellent series.

B. said...

Yes!!! I've watched the whole series three times in the last four months. In my opinion it's the best thing there's ever been. I still get shivers when Captain Speirs charges across the field during the assault on Foy.