Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Say A Prayer For Sooty

I don't know if you believe in this sort of thing, but if you do, please say a prayer for Sooty, Dr J's wonderful cat and faithful companion for the last 17 and a half years.

We took Sooty to the vet this morning. He was having difficulty breathing, and I'm afraid the diagnosis couldn't have been worse. He has lung cancer, and may not last through the night. It's amazing that we've seen few symptoms until now, but that's how it is with cats, apparently. They're masters of masking, and just two days ago this guy was seemingly in perfect health.

He's back with Dr J now, trying to sleep at the end of her bed, but his breathing is laboured and the fire's gone out of his eyes. I suspect the Doc and I will spend the Easter long weekend remembering a wonderful friend, one who's stuck by her, who's been there for her, though the good times and the bad for more than half her adult life.

13 comments:

e said...

I will absolutely say a prayer for Sooty, and for Chester the Bear and Dr. J. I lost my Scimmia about a year and a half ago, she was 16. No words can describe what it's like to lose a loved animal. But Dr. J and I know. God speed, Sooty.

Anonymous said...

Prayers are on the way.

Pingu the Wonder Cat said...

I'm sending healing purrrs.

pitfinder said...

Farewell and Godspeed.

Chester The Bear said...

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes.

Sooty passed away this evening, after a final day sitting in front of his favourite fireplace.

His breathing was laboured all day, and as the hours went by, his strength just seemed to ebb away.

With no hope of any possible recovery, we did the only humane thing possible, and took him to the vet at around 6.30 where he passed away quickly, quietly and peacefully, finally relieved of the burden of his struggle for air, and for life.

We can only be thankful that the end, for him, came quickly, and that he was only really ill for the last couple of days.

Rest In Peace Sooty, and thank you for being such a wonderful companion for Dr J for all those years.

B. said...

:(

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I was told when I was little that animals don’t go to heaven because they only have “material souls”. At the time I comforted myself by imagining what sort of “material” their souls would be made of. I think in Sooty’s case it would be the most beautiful, plush dove-grey velvet. The loss of a furry companion is one of the saddest things that can happen, it sounds like he had a long and loved life. I’m so terribly sorry to read of Dr J’s (& your) loss.

Anonymous said...

ooooo no. im ringin you now. please give my love to ms J and a big kiss and a big hug.

Anonymous said...

oh chester. i'm so sorry to hear what you and the good doctor and sooty had to go thru. ghastly. awful. my thoughts and hugs and warmth are with you and Dr J. it was a relief to talk to you but man oh man. you sounded like a wrecking ball had gone thru your life. :( please take good care of ms J.

gothcat said...

My Love and condolences .I adore my pooks who is 13 and my dear boy...xxx

Awright13 said...

I don't know what I'm going to do when my mini dauschaund goes. I'm so sorry Chester.

Anonymous said...

xo

SantaMonicaDee said...

I am so sorry for your loss -- and it is a loss like no other. Anyone who's loved and been loved by a pet has experienced a gift of life that is unsurpassed in its purity and joy. In Sooty's passing, we strangers around the world mourn.