Sunday, October 14, 2007

Concrete Proof That Information Can Be Useless

Sydney's Gladesville Bridge... The longest and largest concrete arch suspension bridge in the world. So there!
Regular readers will know that I care as much about "greenhouse gasses" as I do about the mating habits of jellyfish, but I have to share some truly useless information with you.

Did you know that concrete accounts for 5% of the total amount of "greenhouse gasses" produced by humans? I didn't.

It seems that for every tonne of conrete made, between 1 and 2 tonnes of CO2 are released into the atmosphere. Apparently, some people think that's bad, though regular readers will already be familiar with my views on the subject.

Here's more... every human being on earth uses 3 tonnes of concrete a year. (I plan to use my 3 tonnes to build an Al Gore proof bunker, but that's for another blog).

And next to water, concrete is the single most consumed resource on the planet.

Never say you don't learn stuff here at The Adventures of Chester The Bear.

1 comment:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

I've only ever driven over that bridge, thanks for the side view, it's really quite pretty along there.