Saturday, October 13, 2007

Phrases For Time Travelers

I was looking for a good English to Latin translator this morning for a project I'll tell you about some other time, when I came across a list of moderately useful Latin expressions.

I thought I'd share some of them with you, secure in the knowledge that many of my readers will wish to blend some of these one liners into their every day language.

Nescio quid dicas
I don't know what you're talking about

Nemo hic adest illius nominis
There is no one here by that name

Ita erat quando hic adveni.
It was that way when I got here

Noli me vocare. Ego te vocabo.
Don't call me. I'll call you.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult

Canis meus id comedit
My dog ate it

Die dulci freure
Have a nice day

Fac ut vivas
Get a life

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem
Stand aside, little people! I am here on official business

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Unless you give me all of your money, I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Utinam barbari spatioum proprium tuum invadant
May barbarians invade your personal space

Quo signo nata es?
What's your sign?

Utinam coniurati te in foro interficiant
May conspirators assasinate you in the hall

Magister mundi sum!
I am the master of the universe!

Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant
May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy

Emptito ergo sum
I shop, therefore I am

Cogito ergo doleo
I think, therefore I am depressed

Senito aliquos togatos contra me conspirare
I think some people in togas are plotting against me

Vah! Denuone latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.
Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out.

Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est
Yes, that is a very large amount of corn

Braccae tuae aperiuntur
Your fly is open

Subucula tua apparet
Your slip is showing

Heus, hic nos omnes in agmine sunt!
Hey, we're all in line here!

Non, mihi ignosce, credo me insequentem esse
No, excuse me, I believe I'm next

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults

Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades
If you can read this bumper sticker, you are both very well educated, and much too close

Quid agis, medice?
What's up, Doc?

Dic mihi solum facta, domina
Just the facts, ma'am

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Fac ut gaudeam
Make my day

Illius me paenitet, dux
Sorry about that, chief

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
The devil made me do it!

Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
Beam me up, Scotty

Just remember... if it's in Latin, it must be important.

9 comments:

pitfinder said...

Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be
It killed the ancient Romans
And now it's killing me.

Ms Brown Mouse said...

it made me larf till coffee almost made a nasal exit.

Awright13 said...

That's pretty much awesome.

Anonymous said...

god i LOVE THIS! at work tomorrow, i am going to wave my hads and say:

Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem

(Stand aside, little people! I am here on official business)

Do they have one for "Nothing to see here, move on please." .. ?

Matsby said...

Well I think you just proved, as a matter of fact, that Latin is NOT dead.

Matsby said...

By the way, thank you.

That was hilarious!

e said...

Too funny.

Can you give me one for "There's no one here but us chickens"? Then my Latin phrase book will be complete.

Rach said...

Ohhh, must have a latin bumper sticker!!

Identity Crisis said...

Fabulous! Thank you so much.