Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Random Observations II

Ok. So yesterday's thoughts turned into a rant. As Mrs Mouse suggested, I may have a touch of Februaryitis, but I am fighting very hard, so I thought I'd try again...

Sunsets look better on a hazy day. It's got something to do with refraction of light through the particles of stuff that clog up our lungs.

The best part about a drought is that it doesn't rain. Ok. I know that sounds obvious, but one can at least plan ahead without having to make contingency plans for crappy weather.

The worst part about a drought is that it doesn't rain. I miss the rain sometimes... especially that misty, in-your-face rain you get 361 days of the year in Vancouver.

There's something magical about a walk through the back streets of Istanbul. If you haven't been there, put it on your list of places to see before you die.

"Il Sigaro" at L'Opera in Long Beach defies words. L'Opera is a chique Italian Ristorante on Pine St. Il Sigaro is dessert. If you haven't eaten there, put it on your list of things to do before you die.

Szechuan Garden in Sydney is one of the world's truly great Chinese restaurants. Go there. Have the Lamb Pancakes, Salt & Pepper Prawns and Pork Spare Ribs. OMG.

Most people sitting at the front of the plane didn't pay for their own ticket. Every time I fly anywhere, I wrestle with a big conflict... is getting to sit up the front in a nice wide comfy seat for 14 hours the best way to spend $5,000, or would that money be better spent on, say, some fabulous piece of art when I gete there. My head usually votes for the art. If it was my money, my head would probably win. Fortunately, most of my flying has been on someone elses dime.

Cars go faster when they're washed. They run better, and their engines are quieter too. It's almost as though the cars know.

In Papua New Guinea, the local language is "Tok Pisin". It's a corruption of English, German, and about a thousand local dialects. The expression for "comprehensively broken" is "bugarup", as in "car im bugarup", which loosely translates as "the car has broken down". Language can be universal.

There is something truly special about getting up just before dawn. That's why I don't do it very often. I'd hate to make it mundane and every-day.

2 comments:

Ms Brown Mouse said...

Getting up before dawn is, in my humble opinion, a once in a lifetime experience!

Identity Crisis said...

This could be a book.